Monday, November 8, 2010

Facing my fear: Podophobia

That's right, those five little piggies used to freak me out more than you'd ever know! You'd never realize it today being that I have such an interest in foot reflexology. One of my massage instructors even told me I was one of her favorites when it came to foot massage and she had no idea about the Podophobia I used to have.

I tried not to let my family or friends know how truly terrified I was of even the sight of other people's feet. Saying the word, talking about them or even looking at pictures of feet would give me the most irrational sense of anxiety and panic. And don't you even think about touching my foot, especially with your own foot, I would have a heart attack!

Growing up I always tried to keep my feet covered using socks, shoes, slippers, sitting on top of my feet, whatever I had to do to protect them from others eyes. If I did confess to someone about my phobia, they didn't hesitate to chase me around trying to give me a close up of their stubby toes. YUCK!!

When and why did this phobia start, I have no idea. I do remember giving my mom foot massages until I was 8 years old, but I can't recall any scarring events dealing with feet. Was never bulled and forced to smell Susie's sweaty feet after P.E. or anything cruel like that. I'm not too fond about how my own feet look, but they function properly and help me walk, so I don't hate them as much as I used to. haha

So, how did I get over this fear of the little piggies?? Slowly...My seven younger brothers were good about testing just how scared I was of their feet. Many wars were started and even more battle wounds were given. Over time I was good enough at faking that the sight of their feet no longer bothered me; and eventually it actually didn't anymore. So immediate family was no longer part of that equation. But that left the rest of the outside world.

When I started massage school, I knew I'd have to touch someones feet as well as have mine touched. The instructor would always demonstrate a technique before we were asked to perform it and with such a small group we usually had one person we worked with regularly. I always tried to partner myself with Ronald. He was hilarious! And having something to laugh at and keep me distracted always helped. Initially, I would never look directly at the foot and taking slow deep breaths helped calm my budding anxiety. When it came to having my own foot touched that was a bit harder to deal with. I would just close my eyes and imagine I was somewhere else. And holding my breathe helped. LOL After months of being immersed in the same situation I grew more and more comfortable with having someone even stand next to me with no shoes on, although I would prefer if they at least had socks on. Sweaty feet to this day gross me out, but I think that's normal. haha

All in all, I'd say I'm cured! I've read many stories of Podophobics and as with any phobia there are varying degrees of severity. Therefore, not everyone is able to get over a phobia of their own will. But, I wasn't going to let a pair of feet stop me from my passion to become a massage therapist!

Hmmm...I think I'll treat myself to a pedicure tomorrow! ;)

5 comments:

  1. HAHA! D I never knew!!! But I'm glad you were able to get past it some!!! Love the story btw!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am always amazed at how many therapist act ually have this problem. To me it is a no-brainer. I do what I have to do and don't even think about it. Now...aside from body work..I am not a fan of feet..especially funky, toe-jam.My clients are always worried about their feet and I assure them I could not care less. And this is true...during a massage. Otherwise.....keep those paws to yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Tammy, Thanks!
    @Ronald, haha.. and you're so right. Once it's time to get to work, everything else stays outside of the room. And clients are usually self conscious of how they look and smell so I rarely ever have to deal with "funky, toe-jam" feet! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found this article by googling: can someone with a foot phobia become a massage therapist :D this is just what I needed to here as I am seriously pursing becoming one but have always been a bit freaked out by feet, namely other people's!! So I guess some deep breathing and focusing on the task at hand is the secret?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, Carma..if your desire to become a massage therapist is greater than your fear of feet, you can definitely successfully become a massage therapist! I did. :)
    If you focus more so on the individual and their issue(s) of pain/discomfort you'll eventually become less concerned about touching their feet and more about how you are making them feel better.
    Hope this helps and good luck! :)
    If you have any other questions about anything please be sure to stop by! Happy Holidays!
    .Dawnette.

    ReplyDelete