Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Whisper Wednesday: How to Make an Ice Pack

For those loyal readers I have, I'm sure you remember my post about when to use ice vs heat on a muscular injury. For a recap go hither: HEAT or ICE??

Lately, my household has become overrun with ice packs. Why, you ask? Because one or more of the members in my household can't help but occasionally fall off a horse; pull a muscle lifting several pounds in pool supplies; have a aching lower back from standing on their feet for hours at a time; or, our favorite, getting bruised and battered from breaking aka bboying. With such a combination of fun, tedious and strenuous activities, we're sore, aching and limping quiet often.

The cost and size of our ice packs started increasing, so what idea did my crazy, fun and adventurous friend, Tammy come up with?? "Let's make our own ice packs!!" So off to the Dollar Store we went. It was easier than I realized. All you need are: plastic Ziploc bags of desired size and rubbing alcohol or dishwashing liquid containing alcohol. We purchased rubbing alcohol and dishwashing liquid. Both came out pretty well and stay cold for several hours.


Add dishwashing liquid to ziploc bag.
*If you're using the rubbing alcohol instead, the mixture is  1 part alcohol to 2 parts water.* 
Cool, right??!
Before sealing, leave at least 2 inches of space
so that the liquid has room to expand once it freezes. 
Finally, place in freezer, let freeze and VoilĂ !!
A VERY flattering picture of myself using one of the three ice packs Tammy made.
Shinsplints are no joke! 

And that's it!! Easy right??! I believe ice packs are an essential household item next to toilet paper and water. So have at it!! :D



1 comment:

  1. That's an awesome idea! Thanks for sharing. :D

    ReplyDelete