Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Whisper Wednesday: A Little Stretch Goes A Long Way

Client: I don't know why I'm always so stiff and aching. Especially in my lower back, neck and shoulders. I don't do anything active and at work I mainly sit at a computer booking appointments and answering the phone.

Me: What do you do when you feel the pain? Have you tried applying ice or heat to area? Does one or the other make it better or worse? And how good are you with drinking plenty of water?

Client: Sometimes I use heat. That makes it feel better for a little while. But I mainly just take an aspirin when I feel the pain. And I drink water. I'm sure I should be drinking more though.

Me: You implied that you aren't that active. Have you tried incorporating any stretches to your daily routine? Also, to make sure you're drinking enough water, TRY THIS.

Client: I can't find the time for stuff like stretching and exercising.

Me: Well, the great thing about stretching is that it allows you to multitask. Being that your job seems pretty sedentary, doing some simple stretches at your desk can greatly improve circulation to parts of your body, reduce muscle tension, increase your energy level and increase your joint range of motion. Also, if you can, get up and walk around every one or two hours to get the blood flowing.

Stretching won't replace all the benefits that massage or exercise can give you, however, with adding stretching to your daily routine you will start to notice a reduction in muscle tension and stiffness which allows me to avoid having to use too much pressure during your massage.

Client: Wow...sounds great! I'll definitely start stretching while at work and even while watching TV or reading a book.

Me: Excellent! Just remember to do a nice five minute warm up before you stretch. For example walking or jogging in place. Hold each stretch for 30-60 seconds and make sure you breathe to help you relax. Don't bounce while you're stretching and if you feel any pain while stretching, slowly ease up until you don't feel the pain and then hold the stretch.


For those of you that are active in sports. Stretching is vital for the longevity or your career. It will help reduce the occurrence of injury and decrease recovery time if you have been injured. The better conditioned your muscles and tendons are the more they can endure the intensity of your activity.

Here are a few quick and easy stretches you can try while at home or sitting at work. Don't worry if you aren't as flexible as I am. Just do what is comfortable for you.


Neck & Shoulder



Hamstrings & Lower back



Hip & Glutes (Can also be down laying on your back)



Torso



Chest



Shoulder



Wrist & Forearm


(For Wrist and Bicep stretch, face palm out and fingers toward the floor. Use opposite hand to stretch fingers toward your elbow.) 
 
**This post is not meant to diagnose or treat injury or illness. Check with your doctor before starting any exercise or stretching routine.**

3 comments:

  1. Excellent D! I always incorporate stretches in my bodywork. I have suggested yoga to a few clients, who have gotten tremendous results.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ronald! Stretching greatly assists with massage in the recovery of injuries and muscle tension. And Yoga is great! Everyone should regularly practice it. There are so many benefits aside from increasing ones flexibility.

    ReplyDelete